Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2008

Exams and me

My end semester exams are going on. So, what am I doing here, blogging? Shouldn’t I be studying? Well I am not, because I believe I will do it later!

If you are thinking that I am a procrastinator, don’t bother telling me. I have known it always, and I get this huge realization of being the worst procrastinator during exams. Some facts to support the claim: [I have to defend this self-derogatory claim because some people won’t believe me!!!]

1. Till 10 PM at night during every exam, I manage to complete 25% of the course at max!

2. Till 12 PM the exam morning (exams are being held in the afternoon shift from 2 to 5), I complete my 90% course!!!! [Please don’t assume that I stay up all night for mugging up! I can do coding all night, but mugging up, no]

But surprisingly enough, my exams have gone well till now, heck, I took 3 extra sheets for 3 of my theory exams and took 2 extra sheets in the fourth. Previously, I used to be a guy who could never fill up even one extra sheet. How did I do it:

1. The revision during 12 to 2 with friends helped me a lot. And I realized that all those guys who give advise to students sitting for Board exams have got it ALL WRONG. In fact, you should:

a) DO LAST MINUTE REVISIONS

b) NEVER MEDIDATE/CALM YOURSELF BEFORE EXAMS. INSTEAD YOU SHOULD STUDY ENERGETICALLY AND DISCUSS A LOT TILL 5 MINUTES BEFORE EXAMS

c) DO EVERYTHING ON THE LAST DAY, THAT WAY YOU WILL REMEMBER ENOUGH TO WRITE FOR 3 HOURS

[I am not Joking]

2. I have tried to write faster. [I am not a slow writer per se but my writing speed declined as my typing speed increased.]

And now, if you have managed to read this far, congratulations. Comments welcome as always!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:47 pm

    I completely agree with your post.. although We hostelers felt this 3 years before and are practicing it since then..Ha Ha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i agree with most of things you have said but i disagree when you say that before your board exams one should discuss 5 minutes before the exam and all i think that can only harm you especially due to the fact most of us are not mature enough to handle stress which can come due to peer pressure due to course not being covered not thoroughly prepared etc etc but now you are in college and you are mature and you are above all these things so now these become very handful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well studying till even 5 minutes before the exam is fine but in that case when you have hardly read anything else before... To a certain effect revising is also fine, but if its the first time u r revising, in case of boards its different, its almost the tenth revision...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will concede the point that maybe at 10th class it is not advisable. But only for a selected 1% of student community. That also because we find 2 or 3 suicides being committed every year on the board exams. So the 1% very tense students may be should not take this attitude, but for the rest 99% I will still recommend the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discussing everything once 5 minutes b4 exam is not advisable in any form of examination. It will only dent ur confidence and make you nervous if u hav no clue abt wht every1 is discussing.

    Also i would not recommend reading the entire question paper before starting an exam. (For guys who do limited selective study)

    Studying at late hours helps coz

    1. Every1 is asleep and no one disrupts your concentration.

    2. Whatever you learn at night, u tend to retain it better coz u sleep n it stays in ur head in the morning.

    Every individual has a time of day when he/she can grasp things better and much faster.

    Mine's from 12am - 4am. :)

    It's better to learn things by roughly writing them down once while reading. M not talking abt making notes b4 exam. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice advise Iceman

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey u cnt imagine how bad i feel....i wd hv done much better in class 10th and 12th( crossed the 90 mark) hd i done last minute studies . just ws foolish in listening to some foolish ppl who still rely on old fashioned trends . Studies at night before xam bring out the best in you . It gives best practice of skimming while reading ( coz u knw u gt a deadline ). It really helped me in my cat rc passages .

    ReplyDelete